Saturday, May 9, 2009

...

I am with Muktar when I feel my phone vibrate. I ask him and he’s gracious to allow me take the call.
It’s one of my aunties. She’s having some trouble.
‘I can’t believe this is happening all over again. The Devil has failed.’
She’s been crying.
‘Aunty, what happened?’
I step out of Muktar’s office.
After a few more darts at the devil for his misdeeds, she tells me that state officials are making new road developments and her house has been slated for demolition. She reminds me that she built the house from her late husband’s entitlements. She wants legal advice from Rookie who’s as worried as she is.
I make out as calm and ask her to go to the authority in charge of building developments and hope that she will be well recompensed in time. A couple of months ago, she had lost most her investments in the market crash and does some petty trading most of the time. Her kids are young and still in secondary school.
I’m bothered and make a mental note to ask around.

No comments: